Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Introduction - Part I

Hello! And welcome to my first ever attempt at blogging. I've kept a personal journal for years, but this somewhat public (if it's ever read by anyone) version is a little overwhelming...so please bear with me as I muddle my way through this. I'll have to give my introduction in sections...because this blog should have really started several months ago...and Olliver is already home. Who's Olliver? We'll get to that...

My name is Jodi. I'm 38 years old. And I'm a horse-aholic. Been one my entire life. In my real life, I'm the single mother of a 14-year-old daughter (Mikayla). We have 2 cats (Quiche and Moxie). We live in Rochester, MN and I work in health care administration at "The World Renowned Mayo Clinic"....which from this point on will be known as TWRMC.

Due to some unfortunate losses in my life over the past few years, I've finally come to the realization that life is just too short for wishes and regrets. You've just gotta grab life by the horns and make everyday the best it can be. Enter Traci.

Traci is one of my dearest friends. A horsewoman. A fisherwoman. The bestest, most perfect friend I could ever want. Practically my clone - only a lot shorter and looks nothing like me. She gave me back a piece of myself that I had shut down a long time ago - my love for horses.

I spent much of the summer at her place. Riding horses. Brushing horses. Feeding horses. Scooping horse poop. Building fences. Lots of manual labor. Except that when manual labor involves horses - to me, it's just not manual labor. It didn't take long before that old ache to own my own horse came back. It was all I could think about. I was CONSUMED by the need to have my own. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Traci's horses. But there is nothing like having one of your own.

I started researching breeds. I've always been crazy about Arabians. Arabians are beautiful. And a little psychotic. Not good when you've got a 14-year-old who knows nothing about horses who's gonna be running around in the pasture and corral with you and said horse. Oh, and I did I mention that I'm over 6 foot tall? I'm a big girl. I need a BIG horse. Time to rethink what breed of horse I should consider. Then I remembered the movie Ladyhawke. Remember that one? With Michelle Pfieffer? Matthew Broderick?? And that big, black, gorgeous horse?? A Friesian. Oh yes. That was the kind of horse I wanted. Only Friesians are light draft horses. Not known for having the smoothest ride. Okay...think, think. Google. Google. Here we go....Friesian Sport Horses. Athletic horses crossed with Friesians. Smart, loyal, good bone, big, athletic. And guess what - one of my new horsey friends just happens to know a breeder of Friesian cross sport horses. Just a 40 minute drive away....

No comments:

Post a Comment